Here are some remarks on my Birthday (11th Dec):
* 220 – Cao Pi abdicated the last Han Emperor (Emperor Xian) which ended 400 years of Han Rules
* 359 – Honoratus, the first known Prefect of the City of Constantinople, takes office.
* 969 – Byzatine Emperor Nikephoros II assassinated by his wife Theofano and her lover, the later Emperor John I Tzimiskes
* 1282 – Llywelyn the Last, the last native Prince of Wales, is killed at Cilmeri, near Builth Wells, south Wales.
* 1602 – A surprise attack by forces under the command of the Duke of Savoy and his brother-in-law, Philip III of Spain, is repelled by the citizens of Geneva.
* 1789 – The University of North Carolina is chartered by the North Carolina General Assembly.
* 1792 – French Revolution: King Louis XVI of France is put on trial for treason by the National Convention.
* 1816 – Indiana becomes the 19th U.S. state.
* 1905 – A workers’ uprising occurs, establishing the Shuliavka Republic in Kiev.
* 1907 – The New Zealand Parliament Buildings are almost completely destroyed by fire.
* 1917 – British General Edmund Allenby enters Jerusalem on foot and declares martial law.
* 1917 – Lithuania declares its independence from Russia.
* 1925 – Quas Primas Roman Catholic papal encyclical introduces the Feast of Christ the King.
* 1927 – Guangzhou Uprising: Communist militia and worker Red Guards launch an uprising in the Chinese city of Guangzhou, taking over most of the city and announcing the formation of a Guangzhou Soviet.
* 1931 – The British Parliament enacts the 1931 Statute of Westminster, establishing legislative equality between the self-governing dominions of the Commonwealth of Australia, the Dominion of Canada, the Irish Free State, Dominion of Newfoundland, the Dominion of New Zealand, and the Union of South Africa.
* 1936 – Abdication Crisis: Edward VIII’s abdication as King of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, the British Dominions beyond the Seas, and Emperor of India becomes effective.
* 1937 – Second Italo-Abyssinian War: Italy leaves the League of Nations.
* 1941 – World War II: Germany and Italy declare war on the United States, following the Americans’ declaration of war on Japan in the wake of the attack on Pearl Harbor. The United States, in turn, declares war on Germany and Italy.
* 1946 – The United Nations International Children’s Emergency Fund (UNICEF) is established.
* 1958 – French Upper Volta gains self-government from France, and becomes the Republic of Upper Volta, taking membership in the French Community.
* 1960 – French forces crack down in a violent clash with protesters in French Algeria during a visit by French president Charles de Gaulle.
* 1962 – The last execution ever in Canada occurs to Arthur Lucas for murder
* 1964 – Che Guevara speaks at the United Nations General Assembly in New York City. An unknown terrorist fires a mortar shell at the building during the speech.
* 1971 – The Libertarian Party of the United States is formed.
* 1972 – Apollo 17 becomes the sixth Apollo mission to land on the Moon.
* 1980 – The Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation, and Liability Act (also known as CERCLA or Superfund) is enacted by the U.S. Congress.
* 1981 – El Mozote massacre: Armed forces in El Salvador kill an estimated 900 civilians in an anti-guerrilla campaign during the Salvadoran Civil War.
* 1993 – Forty-eight people are killed when a block of the Highland Towers collapses near Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
* 1994 – First Chechen War: Russian President Boris Yeltsin orders Russian troops into Chechnya.
* 1997 – The Kyoto Protocol opens for signature.
* 1998 – Thai Airways Flight 261 crashes near Surat Thani Airport, killing 101. The pilot flying the Thai Airways Airbus A310-300 is thought to have suffered spatial disorientation.
* 2001 – The People’s Republic of China joins the World Trade Organization.
* 2005 – The Buncefield Oil Depot catches fire in Hemel Hempstead, England.
* 2005 – Cronulla riots: Thousands of White Australians demonstrate against ethnic violence resulting in a riot against anyone thought to be Lebanese (and many who were not) in Cronulla Sydney. These are followed up by retaliatory ethnic attacks on Cronulla.
* 2006 – The International Conference to Review the Global Vision of the Holocaust is opened in Tehran, Iran by Mahmoud Ahmadinejad; Nations such as Israel and the United States express concern.
* 2007 – Two car bombs explode at the Constitutional Court building in Algiers and the United Nations office. An estimated 45 people are killed in the bombings.
* 2008 – Bernard Madoff is arrested and charged with securities fraud in a $50 billion Ponzi scheme.